Black mold, also known as toxic mold or Strachybotrys Chartarum, is a nasty greenish and black growth that you might find in your home. It is commonly found in the bathroom because of the humidity. You might also find it in your attic, basement, crawl space, drywall, inside walls, behind baseboards or any other place where there is an abundance of moisture. Black mold grows in a home when mold spores are carried inside by either a person, animal or simply the air.
Once the mold spores are in the home they require some humidity and nutrients to grow. They grow especially well in darkness or in places with very little light. I recently saw a beach front condo that had the hurricane shutters closed for over a year with limited air conditioning. Mold grew rampant throughout the condo. It was found on furniture, books, clothes, dishes, walls, paintings, appliances and several other places. The mold remediation company charged the owner $6,000 for a week long cleaning. If the owner had blasted the air conditioning enough, controlled the humidity and had plenty of light they would not have had the mold problem.
Here are 5 some tips to keeping mold and black mold away from your house:
- Control moisture. Mold likes to grow in damp areas so if you have an roof, plumbing or other leaks make sure you get them fixed. The buildup of water is a breeding ground for mold.
- Lower Humidity. This one is really important as well. Use a dehumidifier to take some of the moisture out of the air. You will not eliminate it all together but if you keep moisture levels at 55% or lower then you should not have a problem.
- Sunlight – Mold likes to grow in dark places. Sunlight can prevent or inhibit the growth or spreading of mold. Let the light in when possible. It will help with any potential problems.
- Ventilation – Proper ventilation will reduce moisture. Ceiling fans can help ventilate the house and move the air around.
- Control vegetation – I have seen black mold grow in areas outside of the home where the vegetation is overgrown and shady. The black mold on the outside of your home can be easily taken inside. Trim the bushes close to your home and make
If you do get black mold and in a large quantity or spread out over a large area then you might want to call in an expert black mold removal company to have it take care if. Exposure to toxic mold can make you really sick and if you do not have the proper equipment getting sick is a strong possibility.