Black mold, also known as toxic mold or Strachybotrys Chartarum, is a nasty greenish and black growth that you might find in your home. It is commonly found in the bathroom because of the humidity. You might also find it in your attic, basement, crawl space, drywall, inside walls, behind baseboards or any other place where there is an abundance of moisture. Black mold grows in a home when mold spores are carried inside by either a person, animal or simply the air.
Once the mold spores are in the home they require some humidity and nutrients to grow. They grow especially well in darkness or in places with very little light. I recently saw a beach front condo that had the hurricane shutters closed for over a year with limited air conditioning. Mold grew rampant throughout the condo. It was found on furniture, books, clothes, dishes, walls, paintings, appliances and several other places. The mold remediation company charged the owner $6,000 for a week long cleaning. If the owner had blasted the air conditioning enough, controlled the humidity and had plenty of light they would not have had the mold problem.